[MT-ALES] May 13 ALES contest, Columbus, MT

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Mon May 8 10:54:32 PDT 2017

thanks Joe!

CT

On May 8, 2017, at 11:52 AM, joelongmire <joelongmire at mt.net> wrote:

I am planning to attend...Joe Longmire

-------- Original message --------
From: Carl Thuesen <carl at steinerthuesen.net>
Date: 5/8/17 09:30 (GMT-07:00)
To: Montana ALES reflector <MT-ALES at lists.webworks.net>
Subject: [MT-ALES] May 13 ALES contest, Columbus, MT

The May BFM ALES contest is scheduled for this Saturday, May 13, at Scott Edwards field just west of Columbus. We will be flying under the new 2017 AMA soaring rules, which may be obtained on the AMA web site. Per the rules, skegs and varios will be allowed. If using a vario, you will be required to use ear buds so your device is inaudible to other pilots. Other pertinent information:

	1.   Pilots meeting will be held at 9:30. First round will follow the pilot’s meeting.
 This is changed from  Bob’s earlier announcement to encourage out of town pilots to attend.  All pilots coming from the Bozeman/Ennis or Helena areas, please let me know that you plan to attend.  This notification will help us plan the event.

	2.     Ten-minute tasks will be flown. The CD may adjust task times at the event depending upon weather conditions.

	3.     For this contest, we will use the standard 50-point landing tape system.

	4.     Field boundaries will be per the new rules, 75 meters (246 feet) from the center of each landing circle. We will
determine distance using a laser rangefinder if anyone lands out of the landing circle.  “Safety Boxes” within
the field boundaries will be discussed at the pilot’s meeting.

	5.     Standard launch time (30 seconds) and altitude (200 meters) will be used.

	6.     The Columbus airport will be notified of our contest, but RC pilots and timers should be mindful of any full-scale
traffic and be prepared to apply AMA “see and avoid” practices.

We will watch the weather and publish any cancellation or alternative date to this email Friday evening at 6:00 PM, if applicable.

Come on out and lets have some fun soaring!

CT