[MT-ALES] a good day and Columbus June ALES

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Tue May 30 18:57:15 PDT 2017

What a good day it was today!  A beautiful day to fly with bright blue Montana sky and no wind.  With expert logistical and witnessing support from Jumpers and Scotty, we set out for Scott Edwards field to attempt the LSF eSAP level 3 goal and return task.  One km out and return.  Everything went smoothly and the first attempt in still air was successful, finishing with still about 200 feet of altitude.  Now I know what the Euphoria looks like at 1 km distance.  Basically you cannot see it!  Thanks to Bob and Scotty for all the help.  Completion of this task concludes Level 3 requirements for me.  On to level 4!

The June Columbus ALES is scheduled for June 10.  Bob will be out of town that weekend, leaving us with 4 core flyers from the Billings area.  I will contact Scottrick and Dave in an effort to bring them out.  However we may need at least 2 pilots from HFT to have the minimum 6 fliers for an ALES League contest.  I will be out of town until late afternoon the day before the contest, and in a location without internet or cell service.  Therefore, if HFT folks are planning to attend, and can commit and let me know by this Friday latest, we can determine if we can have the contest.  Thanks for your responses.

Per usual, I will post a final go or no go notice, cognizant of the weather forecast, on the reflector Friday evening, June 9.  Hope to see you at Scotts’ on the 10th.  Perhaps we can get him to give us all a tour of his newly acquired Stinson.  ;^ ))

Carl