[MT-ALES] ALES contest results

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Sat Sep 9 16:24:11 PDT 2017

Today was a terrific day of soaring in Columbus.  Initially the air was perfectly still, and as the sun came around the mountain light thermals began to build, along with significant pockets of sink.  No round was a slam dunk, with the whole sky going up.  Each pilot had to work it every round, and there were several heroic saves from landing pattern altitude and taking a small bubble out to hold on several more minutes to make time.  Great flying everyone!

Thanks to Joe and Wayne for traveling from Helena, and to Dick Blumer for coming up from California.  We also had 6 Billings area guys participating, for a total of 9 pilots!  This made for two nice flight groups, and the flying part of the contest was wrapped up by 12:30, beating the worst of the heat and sun exposure.

Scores are attached.  Congratulations to Wayne for a superb day of piloting!  I think he is really liking his Quasoar.

CT