[MT-ALES] What's this?

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Sun Mar 11 17:36:50 PDT 2018

I saw some unidentified ground material in my front yard today.  What could it be?

This Billings winter reminds me a bit of winters while going to college in Syracuse, NY, heart of the upstate lake effect snow belt.  One winter, while I was a student there, the total snowfall was almost 150 inches.  About 48” came in one blizzard, closing the University, and everything else for that matter, for several days.  My room mate Pete and I were undeterred though.  Being foresters, we were prepared.  We slipped into our snowshoes (what? don’t all college students have a pair of snowshoes in their closet?) and took a hike through downtown.  LOL - we were the only things moving outside that day!  I still remember the odd perspective looking down into the shops and stores from an eye level of 10 feet atop the accumulated and drifted snow!

CT