[MT-ALES] Nats News - first day of F5J

Montana ALES reflector mt-ales at lists.webworks.net
Wed Aug 7 17:38:23 PDT 2019

Check out the cool pic of my #1 Euphoria coming overhead.  I had to paste the link into my browser to get it working.  Then click on the August 7, 2019 RC Soaring F5J article line under RECENT POSTS.

https://contentsharing.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?ep=jSWAXeyO4YPrea0EUXywJOMZVynPjBM7TNZEclYiDjVaOQQLRAo7SZB6l2LhvHBDnZ3sagmJHx-qhd_gBL_trLVDiER3P-dJkQXE_E8wJoaYatoBozE3Cg2eSf0_1YHN <https://contentsharing.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?ep=jSWAXeyO4YPrea0EUXywJOMZVynPjBM7TNZEclYiDjVaOQQLRAo7SZB6l2LhvHBDnZ3sagmJHx-qhd_gBL_trLVDiER3P-dJkQXE_E8wJoaYatoBozE3Cg2eSf0_1YHN>

I had a real nail biter in one round on Monday.  Most of the field was completely dead air, but there were a couple small low clouds way out the back to the east.  My timer, an LSF 5, and I conferred out on the line and decided “What the heck?”.  I blasted back there on the launch, and a couple other guys did too.  Sink and stink!  We all left rather quickly with what launch altitude we could salvage.  I searched north and then west back toward the field…..nothing.  Most everyone was already down.  Then, just east of the parking area and flight line tents, I hit a little floaty air, not up, but not down either.  I was right on the deck, too low to make it in over the tents.  By now everyone else was down.  My only shot was to fly north around the officials tent and scoring trailer, away from the cars, porta-potties and shelter tents, and try to circle round to the west and make it to the 75 meter mark so my flight score would count.  All the while hoping to come all the way back out to the tape for a landing.  This was much longer than straight in over the tents!  By now everyone was wondering what the heck my timer and I were still looking at…..  As I started north, the whole tent line emptied and everyone was out on the field where they could see if I would make it in. Calls of encouragement rang out. I was really focused.  The Big E seemed to be just hanging there, almost not moving, floating toward me.  I dared not touch the sticks.  At last, I pulled a little flap and was immediately on the landing tape.  When I did, a huge cheer and shout out went up!  I did a happy dance, hands waving in the air.  ;^ ))

Great fun!

CT