[MT-ALES] Cross Country

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Wed Jul 5 14:47:06 PDT 2023

Sweet Curtis, thanks for posting!  That got my blood moving!

I’m looking forward to flying some XC next week at the NATS.  It is unlike anything else I have flown.

My experience is that the course at Muncie produces its lift at the launch/landing area, a High School with several large asphalt surfaces and roofs.  Once out on the course itself, there is usually slow sink, and lots of it.  The stands of hardwood, fields of corn and beans, just don’t produce much lift in sweltering summer conditions.  So usually you run hard once leaving your initial thermal.

A game of maximizing L/D!  Where is the airplane?

Did I mention landing out on the course?  Remember the previously mentioned trees, corn and beans?  The first two are not good options!  If you are really lucky there may be a farmhouse having a lawn within reach.

At the end of the day, it’s a lot of fun and very challenging.

Up 5!

Carl  ;^ )