[MT-ALES] AMA/ALES League Rules to Ponder

Ford Rollo fordrollo at cox.net
Tue Jan 10 18:05:42 PST 2017

If I enter a contest with people with variometers and skegs, I’ll not compete against them.  If I don’t choose to use those tools, then I can’t compete fairly.  I don’t choose to have the option of telemetry and don’t choose to put a skeg on my Supra...so for that reason, (to quote a Shark Tank star) “I’m out!”.

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 4:43 PM, CURTIS SUTER <suterc at msn.com> wrote:
>
> If I can make the meeting Thursday I'd like to discuss the AMA/ALES League rules changes this year.  They are quite significant.  We could set a yearlong policy agreed upon by the members or just allow each CD to make the rules for each monthly contest.  If you/I can't make the meeting, such as folks in Billings, Kalispell etc.. can email their thoughts.
>
> Thanks
> Curtis
>

> Here are the changes to Ponder:
> Variometers are allowed
> Skegs are allowed
> Field boundary is defined as a 75 meter radius around the center of the landing tape with the exception of CD defined ‘safety boxes’
> Normalized scoring can include landings in the normalization (or treat them as a bonus)
> CD may use any landing option in Section (6.6)
> No landing requirement
> In / Out
> Spot Landing (circular zone with CD defined length and value)
> Graduated runway (CD defined length, 100 inch width)
> CD Defined Task (anything goes provided advanced notice is given with contest advertisement and sanction request)
> Flight points will be allowed if the aircraft touches either the competitor or helper/timer
> Task time has no restrictions
> CD responsibility to provide exceptions to the rules published as part of contest notice

Ford Scott Rollo
208-720-1417