[MT-ALES] Euphoria to go!

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Mon Feb 26 08:32:20 PST 2018

OK, a few more details on the boxes.

The two glider box is all 1” blue insulation foam, with 1/2” foam used for the fuselage tray and removable internal divider.  Outside dimensions are 76x20x14”.  I used a very thin putty knife sharpened one side to cut all the foam.  StyroGlue was used for assembly, along with #14 wood screws driven in flush.  The screws allowed rapid assembly and held pieces together until the glue could dry as well as adding strength.  I think regular white Elmer’s glue would work just as well as the StyroGlue.  I used the industrial grade duct tape on all corners to give a little extra wear and impact protection.  The tape also finishes the box off nicely, concealing the joints.  If this trial box works out well I may throw some automotive fiberglass/resin on the exterior at some point for added durability.  1/4 x 20 steel bolts and fender washers used to secure the Velcro.  I had planned to use nylon, but they were 3 times more expensive!  Scrap foam used to make fuselage cradles.  Velcro, buckles and nylon straps currently on sale at JoAnn Fabrics.  They have parachute buckles that are adjustable on both sides - perfect for me - no sewing!  Right Greg?

I’ll attach my “plan”.  It started out as a single glider case, but morphed into a two glider box for economy of materials.  You can see there are several revisions marked on the sketch.  Building another one, I think I might make the sides and bottom longer, and fit the ends inside them for a little extra rigidity.  I have about the cost of 2 - 3 servos and a good day into this initial box.  I’ll bet you guys can come up with improvements and better construction methods.

Curtis, I’ll measure up the signboard box and snap a few pics as a follow up mail.  I learned a few things building that box as well.  It was based on drawings for a single glider box that one of the guys in the Salt Lake club had.  The web archive for his box is attached.  I made several changes to enlarge the box to hold the Supra and to beef it up.

Carl