[MT-ALES] Supra box "plan"

Carl Thuesen carl at steinerthuesen.net
Tue Feb 27 09:26:38 PST 2018

I will attach the “plans" that were used to build the Supra sized box.  This box should hold any 3 to maybe 3.5 meter sailplane nicely.  There is plenty of room to spare with a Supra.

The idea was to build the box from a single sheet of sign board, all in one piece.  To accomplish this a number of 1/4” slots were cut in the edges of the box blank, after the blank shape was cut out of the 4x8 sheet.  The “plan” sheet attached gives a string of dimensions across the 48” width where the slots and folds are located.  I’ll interpret my chicken scratchings:  0, 5, 5-1/4, 21-1/4, 21-1/2, 26-1/2, 26-3/4, 42-3/4, 43, and 48.  I must have reduced the 21” width to 16” on the fly during the build per the as-built dimensions.  The slots allow for the material thickness when making the folds.

The box ends are folded over double where the dashed lines are shown.  This fold also traps tabs for the 5” sides, making the bottom quite rigid. I used pop rivets to fasten the folds together, smooth side in!  I didn’t do the loop handle and slot, opting for exterior nylon straps instead.  This works well and the whole shebang is easily carried by the straps.

I found it quite difficult to make the folds accurately in the signboard.  I scored the board with a case cutter knife, which was helpful.  Ideally it would be nice to have access to a sheet metal break!  On my box the lid, where the loop is shown, fits outside the inner box.  This is OK, but next time I’d make it fit inside since the flaps on mine want to spring away from the doubled end panels.  The fuse is mounted in a couple of dense foam blocks shaped to fit, then held securely with velcro straps.  The foam mounts are located to prevent the fuse from moving around.  Foam mounts were glued in with Welder’s.  Other parts are just in bubble wrap and laid in, with wing center section on bottom.  I threw in a piece of scrap dowel that props the box open for loading/unloading.

I hope these crude sketches and pics are helpful Curtis.  Give me a call for more info if needed!

Carl