[MT-ALES] ALES contest this Sat., 27 July in Helena, first air at 9AM.

Montana ALES reflector mt-ales at lists.webworks.net
Mon Jul 22 17:56:37 PDT 2019

I hope you can make it to the ALES contest this Saturday, 27 July, 2019
at Wayne's farm E. of Helena, MT.

First air at 9AM Sharp! We'll have a very short pilots' meeting at
8:50AM. NWS forecast predicts high of 85°F, so hopefully we can be
finished by 1PM or so.  Entry fee is $5.00, which goes to Wayne and is a
very reasonable price to pay for a day of fun and camaraderie with friends.

Standard ALES rules apply, but we're going to add a launch height
penalty just like F5J.  You don't have to do a thing.  Leave your ALES
altimeters/limiters set to 200m / 30 sec. launch (like our standard ALES
contest), and it's exactly like you've been flying for the past years.

If you feel like risking a lower launch for more points, go for it! Set
your ALES limiter to 150m, 100m, or even 50M limit for even more
points!  You can also use an F5J limiter and launch to any height you
choose.  The higher you launch, the more points are taken off your
score.  It's easy, and we'll help you set your limiters, all your timer
has to do is write down what height you launched to. Curtis' scoring
spreadsheet takes care of all the details.

It should be fun, and it's easy.

This just one small step in getting used to the F5J format.  In the not
too distant future, ALES may be replaced by F5J, at least that's the way
contests in the US have been going.  ALES attendance has been declining
for the past three years.  F5J attendance, on the other hand, has been
increasing every year!  So it behooves us to at least start thinking
seriously about F5J.  It's not scary.  It's fun!

So come on out and have a good time, this Sat. at 9AM at Wayne's farm E.
of Helena.

--
Greg Douglas