[MT-ALES] July Non-Contest Results

Montana ALES reflector mt-ales at lists.webworks.net
Mon Jul 29 08:39:44 PDT 2019

HFT had their monthly contest Saturday and it was a lot of fun, albeit there were not enough to really make a contest but we made do and it worked quite well!
I'll let Greg tell the story which I copied from RCGroups:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1453645-Montana-ALES/page115 - post42395701<https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1453645-Montana-ALES/page115#post42395701>

Greg wrote:

Results? Well, Jon Garber was flying so you know the results of that.

Unfortunately, there weren't enough people for a 'real' contest. Jon, Curtis, Hal, and Greg were the only ones flying. Everyone else was camping, or doing family things, or getting ready to drive to the NATS, or doing whatever gets done in the beautiful Montana summer time.

We flew four rounds of 'all-up, last down' with an altitude bonus.

Oddly enough , Hal Aasen won, using his ALES limiter set to 200m! That's the past two F5J altitude penalty contests where the 1st place (after Jon in zeroth) has gone to two different pilots flying to 200m (100 point penalty). Hmmm. The conservative bird catches the worm.

Results looked something like this:
0th place - Jon Garber - Ultima 2 - 3597 pts.
1st place - Hal Aasen - Shadow 2 - 3425 pts.
2nd place - Greg Douglas - Explorer - 2781 pts
3rd place - Curtis Suter - Red Merle VIII - 1167 pts

Curtis had some bad luck in some tremendous sink, and had to power up to get over the power lines W. of the field to land. We all thought he should have gone UNDER the power lines, but Curtis wasn't willing to give that a try.

We all had a great time, flying with friends and being out in the beautiful Montana summertime. We all went to lunch afterwards at Lakeside restaurant on Hauser Lake on the Missouri R. , where I enjoyed a staple meal. Literally.

Next monthly club contest is Sat. Aug. 24th.

--
Greg

PS
I'll add that Hal won Round 3 by a large margin, 308 points over Greg who was in second place!  Go Hal!  In Round 4 Hal was 2nd to Jon by 0.88 points!  Go Hal Again!  Look out, I think he's liking that Shadow2 with Xplorer bags.  ;)
Launch height averages were:
1st Curtis 89m
2nd Jon 100m
3rd, Greg 127m
4th Hal 200m

So as Greg said, it's not always about the low launches it's about making time and being the lowest launch.  Making time is paramount to anything else.

Look forward to next month as always.  I won't be in town for the contest.

Is there a CD volunteer?
Curtis